Systems Engineer, KXAS
Job Title Systems Engineer, KXAS
Location: Dallas , TX, USA
Description **Job Number** 31392BR
**Job Title** Systems Engineer, KXAS
**Business Segment** Owned Stations & Affiliate Relations
**Sub-Business** NBCUOTS - KXAS
**Posting Category** Technology/Engineering
**About Us** NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
**Career Level** Experienced
**Country** United States
**City** Dallas - Fort Worth
NBCUniversal’s Owned Television Station, KXAS in Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX is looking for a Systems Engineer to help design, build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our mission critical broadcast and enterprise IT infrastructure. The Systems Engineer is a full-time position within the Technology & Operations Department. You will be part of a talented team of engineers that demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering internal customer oriented solutions, mission critical infrastructure, and ensuring the highest levels of availability and performance.
Essential Functions / Responsibilities:
• Monitor, manage and maintain all broadcast platforms including IT network infrastructure.
• Evaluate and optimize workflows related to broadcast systems including encode / decode platforms, NLE and Media Asset Management utilizing scale out NAS, SAN and RAID based systems
• Evaluate and maintain encoding, transcoding, archiving, and file replication systems.
• Install upgrades to all operating systems, applications, hardware and media storage devices.
• Repair and maintain Mac and PC based platforms including Workstations, Laptops and Servers
• Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools
• Write and maintain custom scripts to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on any tasks
• Break Fix - troubleshoot, diagnose and repair and/or replace hardware and software components
• Liaise with vendors and other engineering personnel for problem resolution
• Plan and execute various time critical technical and operational projects
• Activities related to researching, sourcing, planning and executing multiple, highly visible and complex projects across different departments.
• Make recommendations on needed resources, feasibility, budget and timing requirements.
• Develop and produce documentation for troubleshooting purposes.
• Test new technology and make recommendations to Management for inclusion in strategic plan
• Ongoing assessment of workflows, identifying manual processes that can be streamlined, improved upon with new equipment/software or automation
• Provides solutions oriented support to News, Production, Creative Services and other departments as needed.
• Other duties as deemed necessary
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Broadcast Engineering or equivalent.
• Minimum 5 years experience in Broadcast, Digital Media, Post Production or vendor experience
• Experience with both digital (SD/HD) and analog video/audio systems
• Experience with media workflow tools and production systems such as Vantage, GVG Stratus, iNews, iControl and Ross Overdrive.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
• Must be willing to work in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas. In proximity to DFW Airport.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• Must be 18 years or older
• Willingness to travel and work outside standard hours, and on weekends with short notice
• Ability to lift and carry 35+ pounds of gear
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Demonstrated ability in component & system level troubleshooting of IT and / or broadcast systems
• Proficient with IT routers, switches, firewalls, and port management applications
• Experience with Fiber Channel, 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, and related transport protocols.
• Markup language and coding experience with XML, Java, perl
• Proficient in A/V file transcoding, data archiving processes and MPEG Compression Technologies.
• Hands on experience with support of non-linear edit systems such as Premier, FCP, Edius.
• Demonstrated knowledge and a working understanding of Video over IP Protocols.
• Strong ability to read and generate system documentation (Visio, ACAD).
• Positive work ethic, ability to work well in groups to execute projects on time and on budget while meeting customer expectations.
• Ability to communicate and interact effectively with diverse audiences across different departments, ranging from non-technical clients to technical professionals and operations staff.
• Must be able to process large amounts of information, analyze this information and make sound decisions, sometimes under intense deadline pressure.
The NBC Owned Television Stations create and distribute engaging content that connects with a valuable audience in 10 major markets across the country. Our content platforms include: NBC Stations broadcast and COZI TV, station websites, digital out-of home, and mobile. Through our local news operations, our lifestyle production arm LX.TV, and our local sales marketing and production teams, NBC creates content that connects communities with the people, events, and issues they care about most.